A car collision can happen unexpectedly, leaving you with a damaged vehicle and a pressing need for repairs. While comprehensive repairs may take time, there are instances when you need quick fixes to make your vehicle safe to drive. At Davis Paint & Collision Auto Center, we understand the urgency of such situations, which is why we offer immediate assistance at our four locations around the Oklahoma City metro area. As a certified body shop facility, we prioritize safety and quality, ensuring that we do it right the first time.
Assess the Damage
Before attempting any emergency repairs, take a moment to assess the damage. Ensure that the vehicle is in a safe location, away from traffic, and turn on hazard lights to alert other drivers. Assess the following:
- Tire Damage: Check for flat or damaged tires. If the tire is flat, you may need to replace it with a spare to continue driving safely.
- Lights and Signals: Ensure that your headlights, taillights, brake lights, and turn signals are functional. If any bulbs are damaged or not working, replace them with spare bulbs if available.
- Broken Glass: If your windows or windshield are cracked or shattered, consider using clear plastic or tape to cover the openings temporarily.
- Fluid Leaks: Examine the ground beneath your vehicle for any signs of fluid leaks. If you notice a leak, it’s best not to attempt any repairs and instead call for towing assistance.
Temporary Tire Repairs
If you have a flat tire, here’s how to perform a temporary repair:
- Locate the Spare: Most vehicles are equipped with a spare tire and the necessary tools. Find them in the trunk or underneath the vehicle.
- Jack Up the Vehicle: Follow the vehicle’s manual instructions to safely jack up the vehicle. Place the jack under a stable part of the car, typically near the damaged tire.
- Remove the Flat Tire: Use a lug wrench to loosen the lug nuts and remove the flat tire.
- Install the Spare: Carefully put the spare tire on the vehicle and hand-tighten the lug nuts.
- Lower the Vehicle: Slowly lower the vehicle back to the ground using the jack and tighten the lug nuts in a crisscross pattern.
Temporary Glass Repairs
For temporary glass repairs, you can use clear plastic sheeting or heavy-duty tape to cover broken or shattered windows. This will help keep out rain, wind, and debris until you can arrange for professional repairs.
Seek Professional Help
While these emergency repairs can make your vehicle safe to drive temporarily, they are not substitutes for professional collision repairs. As soon as possible, contact Davis Paint & Collision Auto Center or visit one of our four Oklahoma City metro locations for a thorough assessment and permanent repairs. Our certified technicians will ensure that your vehicle is restored to its pre-accident condition, prioritizing your safety and peace of mind.
At Davis Paint & Collision Auto Center, we understand that accidents can happen at any time, which is why we’re open for walk-ins and ready to assist you in your time of need. We’re committed to doing it right the first time, ensuring that your vehicle is not only safe but also roadworthy and aesthetically restored. Don’t compromise on your safety; trust Davis Paint & Collision Auto Center for all your collision repair needs.