Since the start of COVID-19, doctors, and scientists from all around the world have stressed on the importance of disinfecting the surfaces we touch regularly. Washing your hands with a good sanitizer or soap is crucial, yet it is not enough to stop the spread of this coronavirus. To stop its fast spread, it is equally important to clean and disinfect surfaces we touch regularly like the interior of a car.
Scientists have revealed that the new variant of COVID-19 can stay on surfaces for hours to even days depending on the type of surface. Therefore, cleaning and disinfecting your car effectively has become more important than ever. In this article, we will give you some tips regarding sanitizing your car.
Which cleaners can disinfect your car effectively?
The most effective cleaner to disinfect your car is a soap and water. However, some alcohol-based cleaners which contain at least 70 percent isopropyl alcohol are also good as well. You can use these cleaners to disinfect the interior of your car as it is regularly touched and may have germs on it.
What else do you need?
Now that you have got soap and water or some alcohol-based cleaner, there are some other things you need to clean and disinfect your car properly. Some of the important ones are:
- A bucket to mix soap and water
- Brush to scrub stains
- Disposable clothes
- Leather conditioner to clean leather seats
- Glass-cleaning liquid
- Drying cloth
How can you disinfect your car properly?
To disinfect your car properly, you should follow these steps:
- First of all, we need to make sure that you don’t get exposed to the virus while cleaning the car. Therefore, you should wash your hands thoroughly and wear a mask and gloves.
- The second step is to take out the dirty floor mats.
- Now, you need to use the vacuum thoroughly to get rid of all the debris.
- Take a vessel or bucket and mix soap and water(warm) in it.
- Now, dip the microfiber cloth into the bucket and clean the seats gently.
- Use a brush to scrub the earlier removed mats and clean them with the soapy solution to remove the stains.
- Now, dip a microfiber cloth into the alcohol solution and wipe the most touched areas of your car’s interior like steering wheel, doorknobs, gear, etc.
- Now, let the surface remain wet with an alcohol solution for at least 10 minutes. This makes sure that all the viruses get killed.
- Disinfect the windows and mirrors with soap and water now. You can also use an alcohol solution for this purpose.
- After disinfecting and cleaning your car thoroughly, now is the time to dispose of the gloves used in the process.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Disinfect any clothes you have used in the cleaning process.
How to disinfect leather seats?
Special care should to be taken when cleaning and disinfecting the leather seats of your car since they are prone to damage. Dip the microfibre cloth into the soapy solution and gently scrub the leather to clean it. Using an alcohol solution will damage the leather seats and therefore is not recommended. To keep the leather seats shining and durable, we recommend that you use a leather conditioner after cleaning with a soapy solution.
Should you go for a professional car clean?
If any member of your family is covid positive or is suffering from any other contagious disease, then it is recommended that you get your car professionally cleaned. Doing so will make sure that high contact surfaces are disinfected and cleaned effectively. Professional car cleaning services have the right equipment and experience to professionally sanitize your car so that none of your family gets exposed to the virus.
Just like washing hands thoroughly with soap is important to ending the spread of COVID-19, sanitizing your car’s interior is equally important to help stopping its spread. As discussed above, soap with water is the best solution to get rid of coronavirus. Some alcohol-based solutions containing at least 70 percent alcohol are also effective in killing these viruses. We recommend that you sanitize the high-touch surfaces including doorknobs, steering wheel, gear, and seats. We hope that by following these tips you will be able to sanitize your car interior without damaging the surfaces.