An auto accident, while you’re out of town, is the last thing you want to deal with. Whether you’re out of town on business, on vacation or simply visiting family, having to deal with this unexpected breakdown can dampen your emotions. However, things don’t have to get worse if you know what you need to do. At Davis Paint & Collision Auto Center, we have helped many drivers from other parts of the country who happen to get into a wreck while in Oklahoma so we’ll share a few tips here in hopes that it’ll help you or someone you know in the future.
Steps to take after an out-of-town auto collision
In a nutshell, here’s what you need to do right after an out of town auto collision:
- Turn off the car, if you can and take a deep breath,
- Call 911
- Feel parts of your body to assess any injuries,
- Check on passengers in the car and see if they’re responsive,
- If your car is obstructing the road, try to move to the side away from traffic,
- Get out of the car and check on the other driver,
- Take photos of the accident, both close-up and wide-angle so you get everything in one shot,
- Exchange insurance information. Take photos of driver’s license,
- Collect names and phone numbers of any witnesses,
- Wait for the police and first responders to arrive,
- Contact your insurance agent/company and report the accident,
- Find a local auto repair shop
At our Davis Paint & Collision Auto Center facilities, we help with out-of-town auto collisions. Give us a call and we’ll be happy to not only fix your car but also help you navigate the insurance claims maze. The number to our Oklahoma City location is (405) 733-9797 or you may prefer the Midwest City location which can be reached at (405) 732-0762.
Common sense wins the day
Just because you’re out-of-town doesn’t mean things change drastically as far as driving is concerned. You should always use common sense safety tips whether you’re in Hawaii or Ohio. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Get familiar with local driving laws and obey all signs,
- Don’t drink and drive. Take a taxi or Uber instead,
- If you choose to get on a motorcycle, wear a helmet,
- Buckle up, and make sure the kids are buckled up as well
Planning is key
What makes out-of-town auto collisions difficult on those involved is the fact that many people forget to prepare well when they’re going out of town. First, you should check that you have your license and insurance paperwork with you or in the car. If you’re close to home this is not a big deal because you may be able to call a family member to bring it to you. If you’re 2 states away, this may be a big deal.
Plan to have an emergency kit with you as well. Depending on the season you may need extra blankets, water, a first-aid kit or other necessary items with you. You need these items because it may take a while for help to arrive, so having emergency items will really come in handy. If you’re traveling in Winter, we have an article that I suggest you check out about must-have items you need to have in your car in Winter season.
Is your car road-trip worthy
If you’re not renting a car for the out-of-town trip, you should ensure that your car is well-tuned for the long road ahead. Depending on your car, there are a number of maintenance checks that you need to do but here are important tune-ups that you need to do for most cars:
- Check that your car’s tires have enough tread and that they are not worn on the inside or out,
- Check that all your lights are in good condition. In some states, not having all the lights working can lead to you being given a ticket,
- Check that your heating and air conditioning systems are charged up and working properly,
- Ensure all fluids are topped up and there are no leaks from pipes and hoes,
- Lastly, have your brakes tested to make sure they’re in good condition. Replace worn-out brake pads and other parts.
Whether you’re renting a car or driving your car for the out-of-town trip, it’s a good idea to plan ahead and follow all the safety rules of the road. In the unfortunate case where you get in a wreck in Oklahoma, Davis Paint & Collision Auto Center is here to help. We’re a certified auto collision repair facility and would be glad to take away the hassle of dealing with car repairs. Call one of our facilities today. Call our Oklahoma City location (405) 733-9797 or Midwest City location (405) 732-0762.